Unable to sleep due to coughing. Chest x-ray normal. Not cured by medicine. Any suggestion?

ENT Specialist
My husband has been coughing up XXXXXXX and clear phlegm for the past 2.5 years. He was diagnosed with allergies to about everything. This came on suddenly. He was biten by a spider about a month before all of this started. He has currently been on allergy shots for over a year but is no better. He constantly coughs, wheezes and is short of breath. He is always using a rescue inhaler. The doctors said he does not have asthma or COPD. He can not get any sleep at night because of all the coughing. He sounds like a 4 pack a day smoker. He has never smoked a day in his life. Chest xrays did not show anything abnormal. He currently takes zyrtec D 2 times a day to help with all of the congestion. He has been on several rounds of antibiotics and steriod shots, but they do not help much. They work for a few days and that is it. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 6 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears that your husband is suffering from chest infection. Greenish sputum is suggestive of infection with Pseudomonas aerugnosa. It appears that allergy is a predisposing factor. In the present situation it will be appropriate to consult a chest physician and plan for a chest X XXXXXXX Sputum examination and culture and sensitivity to decide on the appropriate antibiotic to treat infection.

Once the infection is treated he will require long term prophylaxis to avoid similar repeated episodes. It will be in the form of inhalers and tablets. I would also suggest you to to think of using mask to avoid exposure to allergens.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

With regards
Ravinder Sharma