Unable to eat properly after lap band removal. Suggest some cure

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
4 weeks ago i had my lapband removed. i had lost over 100 pounds but was unable to eat anything. now i can eat but when i do my stomach becomes distended, i look like a starving child. why is this happening?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
thanks for writing in.
The symptom which you described is expected. Due to the band the normal mixing and propulsive function of the stomach wall is significantly affected and at times damaged. It will take quite some time to regain normalcy. In the mean time resort to multiple small feeds preferably semi solid to liquid in consistency to avoid distension and gastric hold up.
I hope this answers your doubt
Follow-up: Unable to eat properly after lap band removal. Suggest some cure 6 minutes later
Thank you so much for the answer. I was concerned I would look pregnant forever. Can you estimate how long it will take to return to normal?
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for the feedback.
For the function of stomach to come back to normal may take upto 12 weeks. In the mean time I would suggest that you wear a firm abdominal corset which will support the abdomen as well as help in redestribution of fat thereby help in achieving an acceptable contour.
I hope this answers your querry,