Unable to detect blood pressure. Have low heart rate. Should I be worried?

I went to dr today and while taking my blood pressure, the nurse said she couldn't hear a thing and tried 3 times. My resting heart rate was 46. What does this mean?
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I would guess that you are relatively physically fit. Most patients will have excellent baseline fitness have lower than average heart rates. Otherwise the other consideration would be that medication could be lowering your heart rate. If you are taking any blood pressure medications this might be the case. The fact that the nurse was not able to obtain your blood pressure could mean that your blood pressure is also on the lower edge of normal. Again very healthy people have lower than average blood pressure. I think this is something you should discuss in detail with your primary care doctor to make sure there is no additional concern.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga