Unable to conceive. PCR test positive. Is TB common test required?

Infertility Specialist
i m XXXXXXX ..i got married 8 months ago..i ve not concieved i consult the gynogologist..she advised me to do the pcr for tb test...and the result shown positive..
does it mean i am infected with the bacteria, in the chest we need to go for checking tb common test
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You have not mentioned which tissue was sent for TB PCR and also whether it’s RNA PCR or DNA PCR.
If RNA PCR is positive, you can take medicines for TB in consultation with your doctor.
If DNA PCR is positive, I advise you to do Mantoux test & Q gold for TB. If both are negative, no need to worry, as you don't have TB then. If one of the two or both are positive, you need to look for evidence of TB in your body before taking any medicine, which your doctor will do for you.

Hope this answers your query.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
Awaiting reply.
Follow-up: Unable to conceive. PCR test positive. Is TB common test required? 3 hours later
dear doctor,

the tissue was taken from the periods blood was DNA pcr..i have already done the mantoux test...the result of the test is 26 mm but we could not judge whether it is positive or negative..Q gold TB test is not taken yet...

my doctor told me that i have uterus TB...and adviced me to take 6 month course..

pls tell me is it curable fully

give me some advice

i cant able to take tablets as vomiting sensation in me after having tablet

so tell me any substitute way instead of having tablets
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Positive Mantoux test can be due to previous/present infection OR immunity to tuberculosis. Positive Mantoux test alone is not sole indication to start treatment.

Regarding TB PCR, DNA PCR of menstrual blood is of no value in diagnosing uterine TB & can't be relied upon to start treatment.

You can consult any TB specialist to find out whether you really have TB & whether medicines need to be continued.

Regarding side effects of medicines, gastritis & hepatitis are two common side effects of TB medicines. If your liver function (blood tests) tests are normal (which rules out hepatitis), you can take medicines to prevent gastritis like ranitidine/omeprazole/pantoprazole along with drugs to prevent vomiting (Like metoclopramide) if necessary for initial few days. Once you are able to tolerate TB medicines, you can discontinue these medicines. Also though some of the TB medicines are best absorbed when taken empty stomach, if you are not at all able to tolerate medicines, you can take them after food.

Hope this answers your query.

Let me know if you have any other concern, if not you can close the discussion & rate the answer.