Ultrasound shows pregnancy but had menstruation. How is pregnancy calculated? How to use Mefigest ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
i had my mensuration on 19th july n it lasted around 5-6 days.... but today my ultrasound said i am 7 weeks 5 days pregnent. Is pregnancy counted frm the 1st day of mensuration or the last day of mensuration? and my doctoctor prescribed me for surgical abortion(operation) but i dont want to go for tht instead i want to have pills. and i have bought mefigest ncytolog on my own risk...pls help..what next should i do?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Pregnancy will be counted from the first day of last menstrual period.
According to that your gestational age will be around 54 days and according to your scan also (7x7+5=54) it is 54 days.
Surgical abortion is not an operation, it is evacuating the products of conception by dilating the cervix under local or general anesthesia called D&C.
Anyhow as you are still 7 weeks and 5 days, and as nowadays medical abortion is allowed till 8 weeks you can go for tablets.
But better to take the tablets with your doctor's advice as sometimes severe bleeding and incomplete abortion etc problems can occur.
So you better ask your doctor that you want to try medical abortion and if the needs comes or the abortion becomes incomplete you will go for D&C.
Probably she will agree and you can proceed accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound shows pregnancy but had menstruation. How is pregnancy calculated? How to use Mefigest ? 9 hours later
Hi
He, the doctor isnt ready to prescribe me with medicine. I told him i want to go for medicine instead of surgical abortion. But he is not ready to unless i take it as my own risk on wriitten.
I have once used mefigest n cytolog tablets somwhat 5 yrs ago so i want to take it again....i have less time as its 7 weeks 5days already evey day is a risk for me now....i seriously dont want to go for surgical some issues r thr. Dr. Isnt listening cant argue wid him anymore...so i took healthcare magic s help......today shall i take the pills.....?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later

As I told previously you can take the tablets but have to remember the complications that can occur like heavy bleeding, incomplete abortion etc.
In that case you have to go for D&C even after taking the pills.
So if you want to take the chance and if facilities are available to go to the hospital when heavy bleeding etc occurs you can take.
Better inform to your family members about the tablets and follow their advice.
If you decided to take, mefipristone to be taken first after 24 hrs the four cytolog tablets to be taken.
Usually after completion of the pills in the next 48 hours your abortion will complete, after that you may have little spotting.
But if continuous heavy bleeding or pain abdomen occurs better to consult the doctor.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound shows pregnancy but had menstruation. How is pregnancy calculated? How to use Mefigest ? 3 hours later
Thank you so much... Will let u kno after 24 hrs.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

I will be available for your followup questions.
After taking tablets some amount of nausea, pain abdomen are common, so don't worry.
But if the symptoms become severe as I told before consult the doctor.