Ultrasound scan showed arms and legs are 6 weeks behind with head normal body. Meaning?

We had our 22 weeks ultrasound scan and discovered arms and legs are 6 weeks behind with head normal body slightly small. Is there a chance these will catch up.. We are visiting specialist Thursday any questions I should ask..?

Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I request you to not to worry.

I would like to know some more details to understand the condition better and opine specifically.

Did you have any fever with rash during pregnancy?
Were you on any medications during pregnancy?
Do you smoke or consume alcohol?
Is your blood pressure within normal limits?
Do you have any problems (like heart diseases, kidney diseases etc)
What is your weight gain till now during pregnancy?
Did you have recurrent bleeding during pregnancy?
Do you have anemia (low hemoglobin level)
What is your age?
Are you obese?
Did you go through the screening for Downs?

Rectification of any correctable etiology could help (Stopping to smoke or non consumption of alcohol, correction of anemia, balanced diet, adequate rest, stopping unnecessary medications etc)

Your doctor may ask for repeat scans and further investigations including a doppler study.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Ultrasound scan showed arms and legs are 6 weeks behind with head normal body. Meaning? 8 hours later
Hi, No rash, no medication,don't smoke drank modestly before pregnancy, blood pressure normal, no medical issues, weight gain 6lbs, no bleeding, amenia ? age 39 years, not obese, didn't do screening for downs, they thought possible dwarfism from reading ultrasonic, if limbs arms and legs are 6 weeks behind is this definite, is it possible they could catch up ... Can you highlight questions we need to ask at our clinic tomorrow,
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

In our practical experience we come across so many ultrasound reports which mention the probability of several abnormalities. In our day to day practice we see later the baby being born normally.

Looking at your age I thought screening for Down's syndrome should have been done.

Follow up/ repeat ultra sound can be helpful to monitor the progress.

Your can ask your doctor regarding
1. Any other congenital anomalies that are associated.
2. Amniotic fluid. (If it is more (polyhydramnios) or less (Oligohydramnios). This can give a clue to certain congenital abnormalities and problems.
3. Ask him if he wants to get further investigations to monitor the umbilical artery blood flow.
4. Ask if any genetic screening is available and if that can be done.
5. Ask him when you should come back for a follow up scan. (normally repeated after 3 weeks)

Hope this helps.