Ask a Urologist   »  

UTI symptoms, lower back pain, blood in urine, diarrhea. What could be wrong?

Jan 2013

I had written about having symptoms of a UTI bad lower back pain, pain when I pee and blood in my urine. I went to the doctor and she said it's not a UTI but is having it sent to culture to be sure. I know I'm dehydrated because now I have diarrhea to top it all off and I'm no better. My doctor won't do anything and I'm very scared. What is wrong with me? Please someone help me I don't know what to do! Is there something seriously wrong? Am I dying? Please save me!!
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have spasmodic abdominal pain/ vomiting/ fever/ frequent urge to use washroom?
Do you have burning sensation while urination/ increased frequency of urination?
Do you have pain and tender feeling while using paper wipes?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be high possibility of acute bacterial gastroenteritis.
Presence of diarrhea along with blood while pee suggests the diagnosis.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar, serum electrolytes, and thyroid profile.

You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.

You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Frequent diarrhea/ vomiting may cause loss of potassium with weakness and fatigue feeling.

Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: UTI symptoms, lower back pain, blood in urine, diarrhea. What could be wrong? 15 minutes later
Yes I do have stomach pain it's very tender. I have had low grade fevers that go very high then low grade again. It burns BAD when I pee and wipe. I also have very bad lower back pain.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 minutes later
All features are suggestive of acute bacterial gastroenteritis.
You should take above advised treatment.
Get well soon.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava