Type 2 diabetic. Feeling nausea with abdominal pain and chest pain. Not cured by medicine. Reason?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been unwell since xmas with abdominal pain and nausea that doesn't go away and I have a bad sickly taste in my mouth constantly. If I put any pressure on my upper abdomen it is very uncomfortable. I have had a scam and my organs are OK, no gallstones. I assumed I had ulcers but I have been taking omeprozole which doesn't seem to make any difference. I am waiting for an appointment to see a specialist. I have also had some pain in my chest and between my shoulder blades, but not constant. At xmas I had a very dry tickly cough as well. I got better from that but I get it a little still and wondered whether it is linked tothe condition. I take aspirin daily for my circulation as I had a XXXXXXX stroke 2 years ago. I am female aged 55 years. I have had ulcers before about 10 years ago. I also have diverticulosis and am losing weight at the moment as I am on strict diabetic eating plan. I have type 2 diabetes. I also take metformin, lisinopril and simvastatin.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 hours later

Thanks for writing in

The information that you have provided is probably due to acute exacerbation of gastritis

As you have a history of ulcers in past and you are already on aspirin which is prone to cause gastritis

I would suggest you opt for Rabeprazole and that too twice a day and it would be better if you add a domperidone to it

Avoid junk food, fermented and fried foods and do not take wholesome meals

As you have diverticulosis take adequate fiber in diet and avoid getting constipated

You may continue your regular medicines

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetic. Feeling nausea with abdominal pain and chest pain. Not cured by medicine. Reason? 14 hours later
Thank you very much for your diagnosis. I have 2 points for you. My stools are mainly light in colour. There has been no diarrhea and no vomiting (although I do get the urge to and nothing happens). Also upper part of my abdomen is swollen. I look heavily pregnant. I live in England and am unable to get the medicines you suggest I take, without asking my GP for them. Do you still stand by your diagnosis?
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back

The additional information you have provided adds collitis to my clinical impression

I would suggest you add a probiotic and if it does not respond in three days add a GI Antibiotic

Clinical impression is all that can be provided in online forums, No one can stamp a diagnosis without physically examining the patient

You should in fact consult your GP about my suggestion and then go ahead

Hope this helps
Wishing you a speedy recovery