Type 2 diabetes with encephalopathy. Noticed a bed sore behind head. Treatment?

My husband has type 2 diabetes and his been diagnosed with encephalopathy he's not verbal and bed ridden in a nursing home with a decubitous ulcer type 4 and a a bed sore behind his head is he going to die form it i am scare because he is the only one in my life
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
It is really a troubling hour of your life.
Encephalopathy in presence of pneumonia and diabetes status, the presence of bedsores indicate to a very critical state of the patient.
He should be cared in an ICU, intubated or tracheostomized, should get good nursing care, nutritional support by Ryle's tube feed, pain control and physiotherapy.
He needs high end antibiotics for his pneumonia and should get a plastic surgeon's review to manage the bedsores.
Overall the scope of recovery seems remote, but still pain control and supportive care is the main stay and can be achieved.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.