Type 2 diabetes, kidney disease stage 3, painkillers the cause, renal failure

My creatinine is 2.2, Urine protein 24hrs is 127mg/24 hrs.Urinary creatinine is 45.4mg/100ml. Haemoglobin is 14.2. Sugar Fasting 127, PP 240. I am being told that I am type 2 diabetic with a Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3.
The reason for my failing Kidney was I had taken lot of pain killer in my earlier days and that have cause the problem. The positive part of the whole deal is that my kidney post the USG shows no problem, Am i in a very critical stage and need dylasis?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 hours later

The stage of renal failure is determined by 'Glomerular Filteration Rate (GFR).'

Based on your reports, estimated GFR stands at around 33ml/min which as mentioned by your doctor is suggestive of stage 3 renal failure. This is not considered as critical renal disease. Critical renal disease is considered when GFR values fall fall below 20ml/min. Dialysis is essential in such circumstances.

Avoid using nephrotoxic drugs in the future. A good renal diet and proper sugar management can reduce the progress of this condition thereby help in preventing or delay the occurrence of critical renal disease.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Type 2 diabetes, kidney disease stage 3, painkillers the cause, renal failure 15 hours later
Thank you for your respond. I have just started a mild dose of Amaryl 1. within a week my sugar level have drop a bit of course i have also control my diet and started morning walk.

Will u suggest any medication for normalizing creatinine. Also had I not discovered this now within how many years would I have slipped into Stage 4?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

It's good to hear that your sugars are under control with appropriate medications. This message is peaceful, maintain it, get HbA1C three monthly.

Creatinine is a measure of kidney function. It is a concern yet. Medicine is not a fix for it. We have reduce its formation by diet. If not controlled on frequent monitoring, then you need dialysis. In chronic kidney disease, I expect urine proteins to be high, whereas this is under limits in your case. Perhaps you can also consider repeating both the serum creatinine and 24 hour urine protein to confirm it.

If Chronic Kidney disease is indeed diagnosed, then it is hard to get the creatinine levels to normal. However a good diet containing low protein, low calorie, low salt diet (renal diet) along with other medications is essential in keeping the creatinine level's lower. The way ahead is with Dietitian with prescribed amount of calories and design a meal plan. Of course this should take care of your daily requirements and keep sugars under control.

As far as your second query goes, it is hard to predict how sooner the conditions is going to improve or deteriorate. As long as your blood sugar, medications, follow ups, diet are good it can take a very long time. Be positive and work for the above goals.

Wish you good luck.