Ask a Dentist   »  

Type 1 diabetic. Teeth sensitive to sweets. Using sensodyne toothpaste. Any cure?

My teeth have become sensitive to sweets. I am also a type 1 diabetic since 6 years. My last HbA1c was 6.7 . I don't eat sweets on a regular basis, but sometimes even in small quantities it hurts my teeth. There is a sharp pain for a few minutes, but then it goes away. I already use Sensodyne toothpaste. And I got my teeth cleaned about 17-18 months back.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 49 minutes later

Sensitivity to sweets occurs due to:
- Deep dental carries causing accumulation of food.
- Cervical abrasion, erosion and attrition of teeth.
- Exposed root portion of teeth due to gingival recession.

I would suggest you get your decayed teeth filled (if any) and cover the exposed portion of root using tooth coloured restorative material. In addition you may need dental X-ray to rule out bone loss - if present it has to be treated with bone grafting. A dentist can guide you with this treatment.

In the meantime,
- Avoid use of acidic beverages like coca cola/Pepsi as it can cause demineralization of enamel and thereby sensitivity.
- Reduce the use of citric fruits like lemon, oranges, etc.
- Brush your teeth using soft-bristled toothbrush in back-forth and up-down direction.
- Vigorous tooth brushing has to be avoided.
- Please do not use tooth cleaning devices like sticks, etc.
- Maintain good oral hygiene.
- Apply gum tone gel at the affected area for temporary relief.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other concerns.