Twisting and turning of stomach and pain after eating fish. What could this be?

currently in Bangkok Thailand, ate a filet of fish last night at McDonald's and five minutes later my stomach starting twisting and turning and hurt very badly. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Pain in the stomach after having fish might be due to an allergy to the particular fish that you ate. It might happen due to a spoiled fish.
If the pain abdomen is not associated with any other symptom you can continue taking Zyrtec. The symptoms are likely to subside in 4-5 days.
For any associated vomiting domperidone is recommended.
You can get an allergy test done at your doctor's office for diagnosis.
You also can participate in an elimination diet where you remove fish from your diet for two weeks and then slowly re-introduce it back into your diet to see if you develop allergy symptoms.
I encourage you to consult a doctor for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications if over the counter medications are not helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.