Twisted ankle, burning sensation on the ankle, unable to move the toes

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am currently having problems with my left leg. I whave twisted the ankle 5 times this weekand amost fell. I am having a buring sensation from the ankle to up the calf area. I have noticedthatI am unable to move my toes as much as I can on the right side.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later
Hi ,

Your ankle is prone to getting twisted and sprained frequently due to weak ligaments in a part of the ankle. This explains the frequent twisting.

The burning sensation upto calf could be due to sprain of the ligaments and possible inflammation of the nerves in the region. It is advisable to consult your Orthopaedician and get a thorough examination to rule out any ligamentous and/bony injury.

In most cases, ankle sprains need crepe bandaging for 4-6 weeks and pain killers for pain relief. Avoid using that foot as much as possible, you may use a crutch and/or the help of someone to get around till you XXXXXXX the Doctor.

Avoid trying to move your toes as well to reduce discomfort. You may apply an ice pack for pain relief, carefully. You need to be very careful while walking next time as your ankle will be prone to this kind of injury for several times.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables for better recovery. Drink enough water. Get plenty of rest for better healing.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries