Twinging abdominal pain, below rib cage, moderate to severe, chronic condition. Causes ?

ENT Specialist
I have been having pain twinges on the right side of my body below the rib cage they go from moderate to almost putting me on my knees. they have been going on for about a month. I am 5'5 143 pounds
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The commonest causes for right upper quadrant abdominal pain will be problems involving the gall bladder, liver, pancreas, duodenal ulceration, acidity and renal (kidney) problems.

2. If there is any relation to intake of food, fever, nausea, vomiting, sensations radiating to other areas, you could mention that here. It help in the diagnosis.

3. Investigations such as an Ultrasound, Abdomen X-ray, Barium swallow/ meal, CT Scan Abdomen, blood tests esp. for enzyme levels and endoscopy are the best way of identifying the source of these pains and exclude many rare causes immediately so that appropriate treatment can be started without delay. All these investigations may not be required and are best left to the judgement of your physician.

4. I would encourage you to seek medical attention.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.