Trying to concieve. Using ovulation kit but negative result till. Felt thick cervical mucous on day 9. Fertile window?

Infertility Specialist
Good Morning,

I was wondering if you are able to help me with ovulation queries / my cycle as my partner and I are TTC child #1

I have been doing a lot of reading (maybe too much) in regards to signs to look out for when it comes to cervical mucus so I can pinpoint ovulation but I am having difficulty. I have a standard 27 or 28 day cycle so one would think I would ovulate around Day 13 or 14. I am currently CD 12 and have taken an ovulation predictor kit test (I have been since about CD7) but it's still showing a negative result however, on CD9 I experienced really thick, glob like CM with a hint of EWCM. Since then it's been quite watery. Would you be able to answer whether I actually ovulated on the CD9 when I experienced the EWCM or whether I am still in my fertile period since I haven't experienced a positive result on my ovulation kit.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Cervical mucous test is very uncertain and not to be relied upon really in regards to ovulaion. Hence I suggest dont go with cervival mucous test as it is outdated.

2) Ovulation detection kit is a better alternative. Though it has chance of showing false negative results, its better then cervical mucous test.

3) Best test would be to get follicular monitoring by transvaginal ultrasound examination. I suggest you get TVS scan and check for dominant follicle and best time to have intercourse.

4) Also get your partner's semen analysis done to see if everything is fine.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.