Trying to conceive, irregular periods. What could be wrong ?

i am 39 y/o (40 in Oct). my periods the last year have been anywhere from 38-48 days apart. i had one july 22, the next august 23 and now started again on sept 10th. my husband and i have regular sex and are trying to conceive. is it normal for my period to be so early--given its not "regular" anyway? i am trying to get pregnant and have irregular periods. i am 39 y/o my hubby is 35. been pregnant with no pregnancy complications when i was 26. we have been married a year and have sex daily (most of time only go with no sex 1-2 days). i am still not pregnant. what could be wrong?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum.

Thank you for the Query.

An information about your current weight and any recent increase in weight is also good to have.

If you have been trying to conceive for more than a year, you and your Husband should get yourselves examined by a Gynecologist. First we advice male factors assessment with a Semen analysis (abstinence for three days) and later rule out female factors such as Hypothyroidism, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), or Endometriosis (Since you have had early Periods) as these conditions cause Irregular periods and difficulty conceiving.

Second is your age is also not on favorable side as the Quality of eggs reduces after 30 yrs of age. Nature rejects any embryo from poor quality eggs that cannot survive externally.

Third, you should first try to get your periods regularized and also check if the ovulation happens monthly or not. There are different reasons for irregular periods apart from the above reasons. Progesteron and Estrogen deficiency or imbalance is common.

You should not worry at this stage till the investigations are complete. With regular follow up and careful monitoring of your Pregnancy you will go on to have a Successful Pregnancy.

Once your Periods are regular and successful ovulation, increase the chances of conception. Your treating Doctor will guide you better.

Common lifestyle modifications include:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Exercise regularly for an hour daily and maintain a healthy weight.
3.) Schedule your regular sex sessions as mentioned above.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.