Trying to conceive and having spotting before period. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
I am a 37 year old women who is healthy and of average weight, I have been trying to conceieve and I just have been having spotting 5 days before my period and that is not normal for me. I am wondering what could be causing this to happen. This is the second month in a row
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Pre menstrual spotting generally indicates some problem in the uterus or ovaries.
It could signify endometriosis.
It is a condition in which the lining of the uterus ( endometrium ) grows in places other than the uterine cavity.
This typically causes spotting for a few days before the actual period begins.
It is also characterized by severe pain during periods, pain during intercourse or bowel movements and often irregular menstrual cycles.
ANother condition that could cause such pre menstrual spotting is polyps ( benign growths ) protruding from the uterine cavity or from the cervix.
If you are on hormonal medication, having some kind of anxiety or stress / change of climate or change in dietary or sleep habits, or having thyroid hormone dysfunction - such spotting could occur.
Under some situations, the lining of the uterus thickens ( endometrial hyperplasia ) , and then when it sheds off irregularly, such spotting is often observed, followed by proper period.
Endometrial hyperplasia could be due to hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovaries etc.
As this is the second month in a row and you are anxious to conceive, please consult a gynecologist.
YOu would first be needing a thorough XXXXXXX examination - per vaginum and per speculum.
Next a pelvic ultrasound should be done.
This workup would be supplemented by routine blood tests, screening for thyroid deficiency, bleeding profile tests, blood sugar levels etc.
A diagnosis would emerge after this workup has been done.
Please have the needful done.
Take care, and please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive and having spotting before period. Is this normal? 11 minutes later
Should I contact a doctor right away or is it better to contact after my period has ended? Could this be implantation bleeding?
I also have been having terrible chills all over my body does that have to do with hormones?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You should wait and see if a full blown period develops within a week.
If it doesnt, then see a doctor.
It COULD be implantation bleed, but you said this was the second time in a row, that led me to think of more possibilities for you.
The chills could be sign of an impending period ( pre menstrual ).
If not accompanied by fever, then yes, the chills are most probably hormones.