Trying to conceive. TSH level is 6.93. Is it safe to take thyronorm 50mcg? What precaution should be taken?

May 2013
Hi doctor....
I am 29 years of age female...I will be planning pregnancy in 2 months... My TSH level is 6.93 so doctor has asked me to take thyronorm 50mcg ....plz let me know if this is safe and also can I get pregnant in future??? What all precautions should I take?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

Thyroid hormonal abnormalities can affect the menstrual cycle and also fertility.
So you have to continue the thyronorm tablets as advised by your doctor.
Once your thyroid levels comes to normal with the treatment that will help in getting pregnant and also in continuation of pregnancy.
Eat foods XXXXXXX in antioxidants including fruits, vegetables etc.
Better to avoid foods that will interfere with thyroid function like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc.
Check thyroid levels at regular intervals like once in 3 months.
The need of thyroid hormones will increase once you get pregnant, so the dose may need to be increased with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.