Trying to conceive. Heavy bleeding after periods with vaginal discharge. HPT negative. Miscarriage?

My question is I have been tracking my menstrual cycles the last three months because I have been trying to conceive a baby. So in October my 1st day of period was Oct 10th thru the 14th in November my 1st day of period was Nov 5th thru the 9th and in December 1st day of period was 2nd thru the 6th. In Dec I decided to try a seriously conceive so I charted my estimated fertile days and my ovulaton day and had intercourse on the 14th and according to my chart I was to ovulate on the 16th. My menstrual cycles for the last three months have been averaging 24-28 days apart. So on the 24th of Dec I started what appears to be a period it has been very heavy the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th and I am still bleeding. I have also had mild symptoms of pregnancy such as thick white vaginal discharge without an oder, headache, backache, mild cramping, nausea, light headedness/dizzyness, moodiness and soreness of breasts to the point of taking some pain reliever just for some comfort. I should also add for most of the year my menstrual cycles have been normal. So my question is with this heavy bleeding could I be experiencing an early miscarriage, implantation bleeding or an early period. The bleeding has been so heavy the first two nights I had to wash my sheets both mornings because the blood flow filled the super tampon and spillied onto my sheets. Oh and lastly I went for an Gyno checkup on the 14th and was told I do not have any STD's
I just wanted to add that I have taken a few pregnancy tests but they all come out negative. My next period is supposed to be 29 or 30th of Dec.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
First i must say that if your pregnancy tests are all negative then you can the rule out the possibility of miscarriage.Your cycles have been mostly regular,even if they are 24 day cycles. The most important thing to see here is that,if you want to concieve,whether thats viable. You are 42,which means that you may have some irregular cycles as is common in the peri-menopausal age group. You need to undergo some hormone tests to make sure that fertility is possible.You may need hormone medication for heavy bleeding.But for now,you can take ethamsylate/tranexemic acid tabs for thrice daily if the bleeding is excessive.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Heavy bleeding after periods with vaginal discharge. HPT negative. Miscarriage? 1 hour later
I forgot to mention that I had blood work performed to check my hormones and was told that everything was normal. Last month I took a home fertility test the third month of my menstrual cycle and the test came out within normal range. So should I just assume that after almost a year of a regular cycle that my period has become irregular again? Thank you for the information thus far.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later
I hope that your LH,FSH,prolactin,TSH are all normal.
Your cycles are a bit heavy nowadays but more or less regular.
You need to be tested to make sure that ovulation is happening because without ovulation,pregnancy wont happen. As i said,in this age group, irregular cycles are often seen.You need to undergo a pelvic examination to make sure the uterus is normal in size.Also an ultrasound needs to be done to rule out pelvic pathology along with endometrial thickness.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Heavy bleeding after periods with vaginal discharge. HPT negative. Miscarriage? 16 minutes later
I had those test you referred to about two months ago. My cycles actually arent that heavy except for this recent early cycle. Since the beginning of the year they averaged 27 to 28 days apart. They start out light for two days, one day of med flow, one day of heavy and then a light day for a total of 5 days of menstrual flow. I had a recent pelic exam two weeks ago. My dr. did not indicate anything abnormal in terms of my uterus size. I was also tested for STD's and there were none indicated. As recent as a year ago I had an ultrasound and I also had my endometrial lining tested. I had been told that my tests were normal. I had surgery in March of 2011 to remove an ovarian cyst. I was told by the Dr that my XXXXXXX reproductive organs looked normal except for one small ovarian cyst in my uterus that was so small the Dr didnt remove it. Thank you for the info I will assume that it is just advanced age preventing conception.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 hours later
Advanced age may definitely prevent conception. Since you say that you had history of ovarian cyst,then i would advise another ultrasound to make sure another cyst hasnt recurred. Apart from that, everything you say indicates there isnt anything abnormal. If you do want conception,you can test for AMH (Anti Mullerian hormone) levels that will indicate ovarian status.