Trying to conceive. Have vaginal tightness. Is there a gel that can reduce pain? Can I use vaginal dilator?

Question
Sir I am married. My husband try to insert his penis…..he can’t it is very much paining…I have done TVS that time also it was pain…they told your vaginal is tight…now I tried to insert the one finger it is going and I tried insert two fingers it is paining sir please help me I want to conceive…i have so much fear on this because his penis is not going in .Is any gel is there to reduce pain and easy to go penis in or other wise to use vaginal dilator for this please suggest me sir

Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The tightness of vaginal wall is due to vaginismus which occurs when the muscles around your vagina tighten involuntarily whenever there is an attempt to penetrate it with something this is the result of a reflex of the pubococcygeus muscle. It may be due to physical or physiological causes and the treatment required can depend on the reason.

The various treatment options for vaginismus are:

1)     If it is due to psychological reasons then removing the psychological cause with one’s determination or with the help of a therapist may help.

2)     Cognitive behavior therapy may also help.

3)     Dilators can be used. When treating the spasms through dilation, the dilators, or probes, used are replaced with gradually larger sizes as the woman progresses. But these should be got done under medical supervision.

4)     Exercises can be done which include pelvic floor muscle contraction and relaxation (Kegel exercises).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Have vaginal tightness. Is there a gel that can reduce pain? Can I use vaginal dilator? 4 hours later
WHAT IS MY PROBLEM . NOT DURING INTERCOURSE I CAN INSERT ONE FINGER TO IN.....GRADUALLY WOMEN CAN PUT HOW MANY FINGERS TO IN....CAN I BUY VAGINAL DILATORS....OR IT IS ONLY MY FEAR...YOU HAVE SAY SIR

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The woman’s vaginal length adjusts according to the penis size during intercourse and if it does not allow one finger even then it can cause dyspareunia (pain during sex) due to vaginismus or vulvodynia. Vulvodynia is a pathology.

Vagnisimus is mainly due to fear or psychological causes. Symptomatic treatment for vulvodynia includes sitz-baths, anesthetic gels (lidocaine), topical steroid creams, pain relief medications like ibuprofen etc. Avoid any possible irritants including harsh soaps, chemicals, deodorants etc.

If the symptoms still persist then dilators may be needed (as mentioned above).