Trying to conceive. Got delayed period. Found large follicle in ovary. Can I expect ovulation?

My wife has largest follicle 14.5 mm in left ovary and 7 mm endomet thickness on day 21. POD clear. She usually has a 30 day cycle but last month her period was 14 days late. No ovulation has occured so far is it possible for ovulation to happen in this cycle still ? and if yes when to expect ? We have been quite worried about this as trying for over a year ( both 30 yrs old ) please advise.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
The follicle usually ruptures after it reaches a mature size of around 18-20MM. After day 21, it is less likely to grow further but if it grows, an ovulation can be expected after 3-4 days. You can check this by checking for LH surge in her using using a urine test kit available in the market.
The LH surge is usually associated with ovulation in next 24 hours and helps you in planning your relations accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. RakhiTayal.
Follow-up: Trying to conceive. Got delayed period. Found large follicle in ovary. Can I expect ovulation? 4 minutes later
Dear Doctor ,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please advise if it is usual for no ovulation to happen in a particular cycle ? Or is this indicative of some problem that we need to address. Please advise on the way forward for us and if there is anything we should be worried about.

Also why is that her last period was 14 days late ?

Thanks again .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Anovulatory cycles are commonly associated with polycystic ovaries or hormonal imbalance. This is also associated with a delay in periods like your wife had in her previous cycle. You should consult an infertility specialist for ovulation induction treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.