Ask a Dentist   »  

Tried oil pulling to clean mouth. Red bumps appeared on tongue, burning sensation when eating. Oral thrush?

Yesterday morning I tried oil pulling ( the ancient practise of swirling sunflower or other oil in your mouth for 20 min) it's supposed to pull toxins out & clean your mouth. It felt fine but later that day I had lunch with spicy jalapeƱos in it ( I believe) & by that evening the inside of my mouth & tongue feels burned/chapped & very irritated. Will ths go away? Could it be oral thrush? The tip of my tongue is red & raised bumps where taste buds are. If I pull my lips a away from my mouth it's red & irritated below my teeth & gums. No white patches
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.
Traditionally oil pulling is with sunflower or sesame oil. Coconut oil is also used and is known to have anti-fungal properties. Since there is anti-fungal properties in the oil, it is unlikely to be oral thrush as this is an ancient treatment for thrush. jalapeƱos are known to be an irritant to soft tissue mucosa. This can cause some local irritation. Based on all of what you described, it sounds like a few things are going on:
-The tongue: most likely erythematous migrans or geographical tongue. This is a local area of inflammation, is completely benign and usually goes away within a few days.
-Inflammation and chapped sensation in your mouth could be from gingivitis which can be treated by: Brushing 2-3 times a day, flossing 1-2 times a day and using Listerine 1 time a day. You should also go to your dentist for biannual cleanings.
-inflammation could also be a response by the oil treatment and could indicate other things like an autoimmune reaction like pemphigus vulgarus, pemphigoid, or hepatogingivostomatitis for examples.

Why were you using this old technique in the first place? This is my main question. Answering this may help us get to a better answer to your question.

Looking forward to your response,

Dr. Ward
Follow-up: Tried oil pulling to clean mouth. Red bumps appeared on tongue, burning sensation when eating. Oral thrush? 50 minutes later
I thought it would help if I had candida overgrowth. I have been having recurring vaginal yeast infections
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 28 hours later
Are you trying to use the oil pulling to treat the vaginal yeast infection?