Tried meth for the first time and upper lip was swollen. Took Benadryl. Should I go ER?

May 2014

I just tried meth for my first time, I woke up this morning and I guess I bit my lip or something a couple nights ago bc my whole upper lip is swollen really bad and inside my mouth there is kinda a hole where I guess I chewed my lip up and it's like black like dead and decaying and it also made my lips look kinda yellow with weird scaly spots in some spots. I can send pics if you want? I also have no health insurance so what should I do just go to the ER?
I've been putting ice on it and I've taken 4 Benadryl and in never ever doing that again! EVER!
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go to ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

There are many bad effects seen in the mouth that are caused by meth use.

1. Dry Mouth
2. Cracked teeth
3. Tooth Decay
4. Gum Disease
5. Injuries as in you due to biting lips and twitching.
6. Lesions – Users who smoke meth present with lesions and or/burns on their lips, gingival, inside cheeks or hard palate

It is important to prevent any infection in the area where you have bitten your lip and if infection has started (because it is two days and there is blackening) you must control it using medications before the situation worsens.

Putting ice will control pain and bleeding but if its black and decaying (as you put it), please have it seen at your nearest ER.

Do not worry, it should get alright on taking treatment. Please never do meth again. It can cause permanent damage to your body.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.