Treatment options apart from surgery for CP angle tumor causing headache?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
sir, my mother (around 74 yrs) is having CP angle tumor on the right, effect of likely shwannoma. Please advise how to treat without going for surgery. She is getting more head ache day by day.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Brain Tumor

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Right CP angle tumor options are available Detailed Answer: Dear sir Hello I have gone through medical history of your mother having right CP angle tumor ? schwannoma of size about 4x3x3.3 cms with early brainstem compression signs . Good thing is that she only has symptoms of headache only & no limb weakness or ataxia , as per your history . In my opinion NORMALLY cp angle lesion of this size are best treated with MICRONEUROSURGICAL DECOMPRESSION OF TUMOR , especially when signs of brainstem compression have started . Second best & NONSURGICAL OPTION for this is GAMMA KNIFE TREATMENT which is available in many centres in india . this treatment option is reserved for small deep seated tumors or for patients who are not medically fit for surgery. You can opt for this option after discussing with your neurosurgeon . In the meantime in my opinion you should start with treatment like ANALGESICS /PANTOPRAZOLE / STEROIDS /ANTIOEDEMA MEASURES for reducing intracranial pressure etc. & to get symptomatic relief Hope this answers your querry Thanx Dr Praveen k Nath Director Deptt. of neurosurgery

Follow-up: Treatment options apart from surgery for CP angle tumor causing headache? 5 days later
Sir, Extremely sorry for the delayed response. 1). Pls explain is there any kind of risk involved if we go for Gamma Knife Treatment (Non Surgical) like deaf, dumb etc., after the treatment. ( I was told by doctors that if we go for SURGERY, there would be a risk of deaf) 2).She now takes following medicines namely Vernil B, Meloprax .25, Gabawin M 50 (1/2 tablet) and P 650 as advised doctors. Can u pls tell whether taking these tablets are any one of your suggested treatments of ANALGESICS /PANTOPRAZOLE / STEROIDS /ANTIOEDEMA MEASURES or they are different? Whether these will cure her or give temporary relief? Pls reply for the following follow up question 1). Pls explain is there any kind of side effects, risks involved if we go for Gamma Knife Treatment (Non Surgical) like deaf, dumb etc., after the treatment. ( I was told by doctors that if we go for SURGERY, there would be a risk of deaf) 2).She now takes following medicines namely Vernil B, Meloprax .25, Gabawin M 50 (1/2 tablet) and P 650 as advised doctors. Can u pls tell whether taking these tablets are any one of your suggested treatments of ANALGESICS /PANTOPRAZOLE / STEROIDS /ANTIOEDEMA MEASURES or they are different? Whether these will cure her or give temporary relief?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 3 days later
Brief Answer: Hello, Detailed Answer: I am sorry for my delayed response; I was at a conference. Gamma knife treatment doesn't involve surgical incisions, so it's generally less risky than traditional neurosurgery. Very few risks like fatigue, swelling, local scalp and hair problems due to the attached device may occur. Deafness is a rare side effect with this when the nerve to hearing is injured. None of the medicines that your mother is currently taking (except P650), belong to the ones I mentioned. Vernil B is betahistine, Meloprax is alprazolam, Gabawin is gabapentin, P 650 is paracetamol. These are not curative medicines but help in symptomatic relief. Please ask your mother to continue these medications. P650 is analgesic, she can continue it. If she has gastritis, she can take Pantoprazole. Steroids and anti-oedema measures may not be required to your mother, as of now. I wish your mother a quick recovery and healthy life. Regards,