Treatment for viral gastroenteritis

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My daughter had runny nose and low grade fever two days back. Doctor recommended Tminic and Doxcef 100 for her. Now her cold is almost cured but suddenly from last night she has high grade fever [102.7] within an interval of 6 hours. And she had vomiting yesterday night and then developed this fever. She also passed 1 loose motion during the day. But till now even after giving her Crocin DS and Meftal P at regular intervals, she still has fever within 6 hrs of time.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Will settle in few days Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writingto health care magic. From your description your daughter is having viral gastroenteritis. Do not worry. Usually viral gastro enteritis lasts for few days . Fever is body's response to infection where it tries to get rid of it. Vomiting and loose motion will last till body recovers from the illness. Since it is usually viral, antibiotics will not be useful unless there is blood in stools. Till then I would recommend giving paracetamol every 4 hours and probiotics like bifilac . I usually prescribe oral electrolyte solution like Electral to be given every few minutes to prevent dehydration. If symptoms persist or your daughter becomes dull with low urine output consult doctor immediately Wishing speedy recovery Dr Arun