Treatment for persistent atrial fibrillation?

I have persistent afib for two years now and would love to be back in sinus rhythm. Have had several conversions but none have lasted. Not sure of success rate of ablation . . . would appreciate input for any other treatments. I keep my INR between 2-3 and have no physical signs of afib; don't know I'm in afib except when I take my pulse. Thank you so much!
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide the report of your cardiac echo.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX I have read your medical history carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. As you are having persistent (chronic) afib, it means that re-modellation of cardiac atrium; there is difficult to get your heart rhythm back to normal again. You can succeed only for a while as you did until now, but the chronic damages have caused remodellation which is irreversible unfortunately. It is good that your INR is between 2-3, protecting from bleeding episodes. You should keep monitoring it together with heart rate. With regards to ablation, I'd gently ask to have your cardiac echography, as I need to know the changes of your left atrium. Thank you! Dr.Albana