Treatment for peri oral dermatitis

I've had severely dry, chapped and cracked skin around my lips for over two months. The entire skin area above and below edge of lips remains dry, flaky and hyper-sensitive to touch. Skin on both side edges of lips have at least two ongoing huge cracks running horizontally out from lips. My lips appear and feel fine, but the raw and sensitive skin immediately adjacent to them is becoming intolerable after so many weeks of unrelenting dryness. As an electrician, I've used Blistex for years to keep my lips moist in all weather conditions. I take a gallon of water to work even day, so I know that I'm always hydrated. This hadn't changed before this sudden drastic onset after waking one morning. Even Neosporin has had absolutely NO effect on the irritated skin around my lips during these past two months. I can't even touch the fine hairs around my lips without it feeling like pin-pricks with every light touch. I apply a decent portion of Neosporin to the tight, dry skin along the edges of my lips and Blistex to my lips, and within an hour, my skin will crack on the side edges if I open my mouth to far (eating, yawning). I'm at my wits end! Please help me...
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: photograph required Detailed Answer: Hello You are probably suffering from a condition called as peri oral dermatitis. It is an allergic condition. Neosporin will not help you. You may need treatment with topical steroids. Can you please upload a photograph of the cracked area. This will help in giving a closer diagnosis. There is an option to upload photos on right side of query page. Please utilize that. Waiting for your response. Thank you
Follow-up: Treatment for peri oral dermatitis 2 hours later
These photos were taken without application of either above-mentioned topical aids since my question was posted. Thank you for your reply.These last three photos were taken after overnight time-frame. Please recommend a topical steroid to use before my 24 hours is up later this evening. I get home around 4pm CST. I have a Pediatrician in the family who could write me a prescription for the proper ointment, if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 45 hours later
Brief Answer: triamcinolone Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the photographs and sorry for delay in reply. It is looking like peri oral dermatitis. I prescribe triamcinolone 1 % gel to my patients. It is a mild steroid and gives very good response. You can try this. Thank you