Treatment for high levels of creatinine after liver transplant?

post liver transplant my creatinine is high, at what level does one need treatment and what is the treatment?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Depends on durtaion as well Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Creatinine is a component which is produced in the body and secreted by the kidneys. The fact that the creatinine is high suggests that the kidneys are not functioning properly. Now it mostly depends on the duration. If the same high has occured for only 1 - 3 days after surgery then probably it indicates acute renal failure and is very common in the post operative cases. It will require some extra fluids and furosemide to flush off the kidneys and high creatinine level comes down. In such cases creatinine level may rise mostly upto 6 IU. If the creatinine is not coming down then you may require dialysis. However if your rise in creatinine has persisted beyond few weeks after surgery then it is possible that the damage has become chronic and it is on the path of chronic renal failure. In chronic renal failure if creatinine is any where above 4 then the candidate will be considered for dialysis. The dialysis may be given for a few weeks and then again withdrawn and observed to see if the kidneys are functioning well and in many cases dialysis can be then stopped. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.