Treatment for head injury without vomiting or loss of consciousness?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I was hit on the top of the head with a basketball 3 days ago. No loss of consciousness, no vomiting, pupils appear fine but nervous about concussion and bleed in brain. I was hit hard and stunned for a minute
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 7 hours later
Brief Answer: head injury concussion ,get CT scan Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello I have gone through your medical history in detail. In my opinion there is nothing much to worry about ,as already 3 days have passed without any symptoms like headache /nausea/ vomitings etc . But seeing onto your nervousness , i would suggest you to go for a CT SCAN brain to rule out any oedema /intracranial bleed . You,ll be much relieved off your anxiety seeing a NORMAL scan . Thanx Wishing you a speedy recovery Dr Praveen k Nath Director Deptt. of neurosurgery

Follow-up: Treatment for head injury without vomiting or loss of consciousness? 3 hours later
I have panic attacks and I am wondering if I really need a CTscan. I am scared but if I am still awake and talking 3-4 days later am I in any real danger? I have a tender spot where I was hit. I tend to worry about things for days. Is the CAt scan just to help my anxiety

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anxiety reaction take some anxiolytics Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello Panic attacks & anxiety secondary to head injury are two different aspects . Continue with any anxiolytic medications if you,re taking . Mostly as per your history profile your CT SCAN will be NORMAL. BUT absence of any intracranial injury on CT SCAN will relieve your anxiety . There is no obvious danger if you are ok after 4 days . Wishing you a speedy recovery Thanx Dr Praveen k Nath

Follow-up: Treatment for head injury without vomiting or loss of consciousness? 1 hour later
I have had a mild headache since injury but not severe. Can I take Motrin? I have been taking one per day.

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Concussion - you can take medicines Detailed Answer: Respected ma,am Hello Yes you can take your medicines as prescribed . Mild headache should also get total relief after few days . My best wishes always for you Thanx Dr Praveen k Nath