Treatment for frequent episodes of blocked nose?

Hi, I got a blocked nose and i been literally breathing through my mouth. It would be really great if you could help me. I am not sure, but this been happening very frequently.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: I need more details to help you. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. To help you with this problem , i need to know some more details. 1. Since when are you having this problem? 2. Is this an Acute problem or you are suffering from this problem chronically. 3. As you mentioned , this is happening very frequently , i would like to know since when are you having this problem? 4. Is this problem related to seasonal variation? 5. Do you have just blocked nose or any other associated problems like sneezing , cough and cold symptoms? 6. Do you snore in night? If yes , since when? I am asking these questions in order to help you reaching the diagnosis. As treatment would be easy , if we know , what problem is causing thus recurrent blocked nose. Reply with the questions i have asked , and if you have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Treatment for frequent episodes of blocked nose? 22 minutes later
I am experiencing it since last year winter. It kicks off the night i sleep with my ceiling fan ON. It apparently is an acute one. Yep it is indeed seasonal. I often do sneeze and at times there is soar throat too but this time its jus blocked nose. Guess i occasiionally snoar, only when its cold though.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Welcome again. Based on your history it seems to be due to Allergy , Common Cold. Also , you have Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis , which leads to frequent sneezing. I advise you following measures : 1. A Combination of Levocetrizine and Phenylepherine (Like LCZ Cold Twice a day) for 3 days. 2. Steam Inhalation 4-6 times a day. 3. Xylometazoline Nasal Drops 2 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 3 days only. 4. Avoid dust exposure and sleeping with fan on in this season. For your chronic allergic problem , you should get following investigations done : 1. Xray Sinus water view 2. Absolute Eosinophil Count 3. Serum IgE Levels. Once you are relieved with the current problem , you may take a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast once a day in night for 10 days. This is my best opinion based on details available here. However , you should consult your doctor before acting on this advice. Discuss my opinion with him. I am sure he/she will agree to this. If you have no further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.