Treatment done for TB of lungs. Suffering from PCOD. Trying to conceive. Chances of recurrence of TB?

I am 33 at present. When I was 18 yrs I suffered from TB of lungs. I took its complete treatment for 9 months and then it was completely cured. I am now suffering from PCOD for last three years, since i want to conceive again (i already have a daughter age 6 yrs), my doctor was inducing ovulation but i failed to conceive due to poor lining of uterus (twice). Doctor has a doubt for TB of uterus. The test TB PCR will be performed in next cycle but since my LH FSH ratio has improved doctor has given me siphene 150 mg for 5 days this month.

My query is; what are the chances of recurrence of TB ; though I had completed its full treatment long back and it was completely cured that time.

Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
You had TB - lung 15 yrs ago and was treated properly for same, as per your history.

Now you are having PCOD and problem conceiving for second time. As you have already conceived for your first kid it is unlikely that TB lung had caused uterine TB that time.

It is likely to be either new infection you have catched up from new source or it is just PCOD causing conception problem.
If you have weight loss, fever, pelvic pain, vaginal discharge; then it add to suspicion of TB uterus but confirmation can be done only with tests.

As per research approximately 17 percentage of women with lung TB gets affected with the uterus and pelvic TB. But it is only when treatment was not proper.

With complete treatment, TB-lung is unlikely to recur.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Treatment done for TB of lungs. Suffering from PCOD. Trying to conceive. Chances of recurrence of TB? 19 hours later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX for replying to my query.

I don't have any of the symptoms of TB-uterus as mentioned by you; except weight loss that to only 1-2 kgs and that loss was not sudden.

I would also like to discuss one probability with you. As doctor has given me siphene 150 mg for five days and further ovulation study will be done. That means I will try to conceive this month (but with a doubt as TB test is not performed this month). If I conceive, and there is TB in my uterus. What will be impact on my pregnancy or how the child will be affected due to TB-uterus.

I told my doctor that I can wait for a month more. But she advised as LH-FSH ratio has improved, I have better chances for conceiving.

I am not able to decide what to do further. Please help me.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 10 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As the doubt is there now regarding TB uterus; I would recommend to get test for TB done first. Then you can conceive later also , drugs like siphene 150 mg - ovulation inducing drug helps to conceive.

If person gets TB and becomes pregnant, then there are chances of baby being born with prematurity, low birth weight, increase neonatal mortality or abortion can occur in between. There is also little chance of getting TB infection during labour.

Again if you still decide and go ahead with conceiving , you need to start anti- tubercular drugs.

I hope this information helps you to decide whether to go ahead with test or conception.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.