Treated for carcinoma of the lung. CT scan showed some thickening of the adrenal gland. Concerned

I was diagnosed with non small cell lung ca in 08 had right lower lobe removed hilar node and one above and below. my lastest ct shows some thickening of the left adrenal gland.. should i be concerned
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Carcinoma of the lung has a tendency to metastasis to distant organs. It usually spreads through blood to affect other organs.

Adrenal thickening in the background of previous cancer is a bit of concern and needs to be evaluated properly. Sometimes this type of mass is present in 10% of adults. Among them 15% may have a functional tumour including secondary carcinoma; the rest 85% are non functioning & benign & have no significance.

The size, configuration, presence of lipid & enhancement of the adrenal mass in CT or MRI scan assess malignant potentials of your adrenals. Verify if your CT scan reports these findings.

CT-guided biopsy & histology is occasionally helpful in confirming adrenal metastases.

Without an opportunity to examine you, I would not be the right person to suggest you the next steps of action. However the adrenal thickening concerns me and hence I would recommend that you discuss with your treating doctor about this finding and I think your doctor is wise enough to take decision about next step.

I hope I have been some help of your query. Please write if you have any doubt.