Treated for Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood. Has had dilated cardiomyopathy. Is there a relation?

Question son was treated for TEC. Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood at 18 months of age, he is now 24 and was has dialated cardiomyopathy, ef rate between 42-and 54. Family history, my father died at age 27 of coronary thrombosis. My other child, female, age 25 recently diagnosied with IST, Inapproprate Sinus Tach, First Degree Av Block relaxation filling problem. So, my question is there possible correlation with TEC and now DCM? Or do you feel that my children may have a mutated gene passed on by me :(?

Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Radhika 42 minutes later

Your son had Transient Erythroblastopenia of Childhood (TEC) during childhood and later developed Dilated cardiomyopathy at the age of 24.Transient erythroblastopenia of childhood (TEC) is ananemia of early childhood .This is caused due to infection with Parvovirus B19. Certain research and studies show that Parvo virus causes myocarditis in later life which then proceeds to Dilated Cardiomyopathy.I do not think that this was passed on genetically from you.

Your other child now aged 25years, female is suffering from (IST)Inapproprate Sinus Tach, First Degree Av Block .IST is a condition in which an individual's resting heart rate is abnormally high (more than 100 beats per minute), their heart rate increases rapidly with minimal exertion, and their rapid heart rate is accompanied by symptoms of palpitations, fatigue, and exercise intolerance.

This is a primary disorder of the sinus node, or derangement of the autonomic nervous system. Even here studies conducted do not show any co relation due to coronary thrombosis and IST.
In this the sinus node itself is intrinsically abnormal; here the commonly used treatment options are ablation of the sinus node as a treatment for IST.

Your dad was suffering from Coronary thrombosis .This is caused by multiple reasons like smoking, stress, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, drug use , diabetes and obesity .It commonly does pass on genetically but they do not show any history of causing TEC or IST.

So be assured and continue with their treatment and avoid the common causes of thrombosis like smoking,alcohol,fatty food, stress.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow ups.Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.