On xolair allergic asthma. Difficulty in walking and weight gain. Should I continue the medication?

I have allergic asthma. The allergist I go to has suggested that I take shots...xolair...since I am not responding positively to other medications. I am 77 years old and wonder if my age will be a problem. Before the asthma became so difficult, I walked 3 miles a day and was in good health. Since the asthma has become a problem. I can't walk any distance without a walker. I tire quickly. I have gained considerable weight. I notice that xolair has some scary side effects. Is it worth the risk? My family (father's side) is high risk for heart disease. My father and his brothers (6) died at approx 49 years. Dad was coronary thrombosis. What do you think? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX San XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (the allergy capitol of Texas!)
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Medications can be changed Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I havent examined you so it is difficult for me to assess how severe the asthma is however since you are not able to walk without the walker and you tire easily I am assuming it is very severe. Xolair is one of the new drugs that have been introduced for allergic asthma, most patients have done well but since you are not responding to conventional therapy I think its a good idea to be on Xolair. The adverse effects are there but without Xolair your asthma might become worse. Your family history of coronary artery disease is not a contraindication for xolair. I usually start my patients on steroids like hydrocortisone daily for a few weeks and then start tapering and put them Metered dose inhlares like salbutamol for acute attacks and salmetrol with fluticosone combination for daily maintainance. Most of my patients have done well just with metered dose inhalers and oral steroids were stopped with tapering doses eventually. I guess this has already been tried, if not please approach your doctor with my suggestion. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards