Treated for Hep C. On interferon. Taking antidepressants. Suggestions

Nov 2013

I was treated for hep c over ten years ago.I have been virus free since that time. I was on interferon for 26 months. After that I was treated with interferon/ribavirin for 6 months, 32 months total. Something very bad happened to my brain. Am I the only one. Doctors/therapists/wife assure me I am wrong. I'm not wrong. I'm 3 different antidepressants right now it's not enough.
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
I can understand your concern. However, I wish to reassure you that interferons and antivirals (ribavirin) have no adverse effects on brain. My colleagues treat several patients with hep b and hep c, and I follow many of them for neuro problems (unrelated to the treatment).
So, your depression is most likely unrelated to the treatment.
I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine),DM (Neurology)