Treated for BP and cholesterol. What could be the reason for having periodic smell of cigarette smoke?

Why do I have - periodic smell of cigarette smoke almost every day? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can occur due to several reasons.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     76 year old female
•      Known case of high blood pressure and cholesterol on treatment
•     Complaints of: Daily periodic smell of cigarette smoke.

Some time bad smell can come due to chronic allergic rhinitis (inflammation in nasal cavity). Hope it is not there in your case.

Smell of any substance without its presence is called olfactory hallucination. It is the one of the common type of hallucination found in elderly population. This can occur due to several reasons.

In your case following are possibilities (in hierarchy):
-Due to antihypertensive medication: If this problem started after initiation of antihypertensive medication. You can check side effect of this medication. If it is there, you can request your physician to change blood pressure medication.
-Vitamin deficiency: Specially vitamin B12. You can start multivitamin preparation.
-Chronic neurological problem: Olfactory hallucination can occur due to age related degeneration of neurons. It also lead to poor memory.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.