Transverse myelitis, no response to corticosteroids. Can steroids still be given and is the disease curable?

My friend is suffering from Transverse myelitis since July 2003. No treatment has respnded till now. Corticosteroids were given to him with no response. I want to know whether steroids can still be given for treatment after so many years. Please let me know whether the disease can be cured & which is the hospital you would advise for treat ment in India? i shall be grateful for your early response.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 21 minutes later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Transverse myelitis for your friend certainly requires corticosteroid injections whenever the inflammation flares up. And the subsidence depends on the condition of the patient. Normally steroid are definitely used for long periods of more than a year. And the continuance will depend on the need.

As it is an ongoing inflammatory process with its own course of flareups, corticosteroids are needed to protect the body against its own antibody cells.

Cure of transverse myelitis is not possible, but doctors aim to cut the acute symptoms and gradual recovery on the basis of many therapies like plasma exchange, analgesics, treatment of complications, physical therapy, occupational therapy and psychotherapy.

Recovery depends on the cause in the first place. Many cases have good recovery at least partially if not complete.

You have not written where your friend requires (city) the referral.
I would be happy to refer you to a neurologist super specialist for this.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Transverse myelitis, no response to corticosteroids. Can steroids still be given and is the disease curable? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. My friend is in Lucknow. I shall be grateful if you can advise where he can get himself examined for his treatment, whether in Lucknow or outside.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

SGPGIMS is the best in Lucknow.
Contact Prof Misra, head of deparment of neurology at XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences.

Wish you good health.