Top of nasal spray flew off when squeezed. Severely dry mouth, feeling nausea. Should I worry ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I used a nasal spray (active ingredient: phenylephrine), the top flew off when i squeezed, causing me to use too much. i went to sleep, woke 3hrs later due to my baby. realized my mouth was severly dry! and i felt slighty nuseas. I drank water and tried mouth wash but my mouth is still extremley dry. should i be worried? can i sleep easy or should i go to the hospital?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 42 minutes later
Phenylephrine in nasal sprays is a vasoconstrictor and causes constriction of the local blood vessels causing decreased congestion during colds and therefore relief from running nose.
Since you have accidentally taken a large amount, it is causing severe dryness in throat and decreased salivation.
Please do not panic its effect will mostly wear off in 12_24 hours on its own.
Meanwhile you should have plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and preferably take warm water for gargles or drinking to improve the blood circulation in the oral cavity.Chewing and other
oral movements can also improve the circulation.As the effect of the phenylephrine wears off your salivary glands will start functioning optimally and your dryness and nausea will resolve.
Please do not panic as anxiety itself can cause dryness of mouth.
At present the situation is not worrisome but if symptoms persist for more than 24 hours you might need a physical examination to rule out ulcers , or local inflammation in the oral cavity caused as a complication.

I do not think a need to rush hospital unless there is no one to assist you or when you too drowsy to carry on and call 911.

Hope I have answered your query.