Took the medication for an IUI. Had ectopic pregnancy and got internal bleeding. Lungs got collapsed. Now?

January 2009 I was taking tbe medication for an IUI however my husband and I wanted to try to conceive "on our own"', but no luck. The second month we tried again but something was wrong with the medicatiom pen so i had to stop and wait to restart another cycle. So, the third month we did everything and went throuhht the compkeye IUI prcesure and I became pregnant. Unfortunately, I was having pains ans had to be rushes to the ER. It turned out that I had a left ectopic which ruptured (noone including the doctors knew about the ectopic). We all thought I was pregnant with only one fetus in the uterus. The one that the doctors had thought was the only one and in the correct location was actually a left cornual ectopic pregnancy, making it two in the left tube. I had emergwmcy surgery and was in the hospital for four days. I bleed internally which caused my lungs to partially collapse. By the time I was able to try again I had lost my health insurance. I now have health insurance which cobers IUI but not IVF. I will be 37yrs old in a couple of months and I do not want my clock to stop before Im blessed with my child/children. A few months back I spoke to my doctor again and he suggested the IVF due to what happened in 2009 and to be on the safe side of not another ectopic, specially with only one tube left. I know there is a chance for ectopic with either procedure. I am just a rollercoaster with this and i just need second+ professional opinion. Thank you in advance! Note: It took 5 yrs (saw same doc at clinic) before the pregnancy- i was only almost 11 wks pregnant
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
Its good to try for another pregnancy as soon as you are fit as the age is running after 35 yrs.
My suggesstion is to do an AMH (blood test) to know your ovarian reserve before you decide IUI vs IVF. Yes ectopic can occur with any technique including natural conception. You should do a vaginal scan at 5 wks from missed periods to detect an ectopic pregnancy when you are pregnant.
Please start the fertility cycle monitoring with IUI if AMH is good or go in for IVF if AMH is low normal.
Best wishes
Follow-up: Took the medication for an IUI. Had ectopic pregnancy and got internal bleeding. Lungs got collapsed. Now? 5 hours later
Thank you I will have it tested. But, what is the percentage of having and IUI vs IFV for my situation? I have been told many numbers and due to the fact that it was almost fatal for me last time I am just not sure which route is best. Specially since the one was unknown to the doctors and the other they thought was in the correct place actually wasn't. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 42 hours later
I understand your worry but the challenge now is to achieve a pregnancy and then to see whether its in the uterus or not.
Both iIUI and iVF can lead to ectopic hence it needs to be diagnosed asap once the pregnancy is discovered.
The success rates vary. On an average success rate for IUI is 15% and IVF is 30% per cycle in women below 35 Yrs. There is a gradual decline after that which is difficult to quantify.The Figurs reaches to below 10% for women over forty with IVF.
All said the best thing is to be taking treatment to conceive and be under medical supervision all the while.