Took progesteron pill. Periods stopped, having breast ache and stomach ache. Could I be pregnant?

im on XXXXXXX pill and have been for nearly 3 months,my periods have stopped. my breasts ache and slight stomach ache, could i be pregnant i had sex 3 weeks ago? or is it side effect of XXXXXXX pill?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 47 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.
XXXXXXX pills are progesterone containing pills. Like all drugs, they also have certain side effects.
Side effects of the mini-pill are generally mild and include headache, breast tenderness (ache) ,dizziness, abdominal pain (stomach ache) and irregular bleeding.

Irregular bleeding may manifest as spotting between cycles and no periods at all (amenorrhea). Stopping of periods is not harmful and is due to the progesterone in these pills which cause thinning of the lining of the uterus, leading to lighter and eventually no periods.
So your problems are likely to be due to the side effects of the pill. These side effects are seen usually within first few months of use. But the side effect of no periods might persist in your case. This is because you are 40 years and with age the ovarian function ceases causing endometrial atrophy (thinning of uterine lining) which is further thinned out by the progesterone you are using. It is mainly the lining of uetrus which is shed off in menses. So when it becomes thin there can be light periods or no periods at all.

Possibility of pregnancy is negligible provided you were taking your pills regularly and on fixed time. For your information, minipill is taken every day. There are no "on" or "off" days with the minipill. It must be taken at the same time daily to maintain its efficacy. Forgetting to take the minipill or taking it at varying times of the day can significantly impair its effectiveness in contraception. This is due to the low dose of the minipill causing its effects to wear off rapidly if the pill is missed or delayed beyond 3 hours.
If you took the XXXXXXX pill as mentioned above , then pregnancy is not the reason for your complaints. Still for your satisfaction if you want you can exclude pregnancy by taking a urine test with any of the home pregnancy test kits. Also if you have not used the XXXXXXX pills in the right way then you must take up a pregnancy test.

I hope I have answered your query.