Took probiotics for diarrhoea. Have mucous in loose stools

I thought my diarrhea was gone after taking supermarket probiotics. Now, I have mucous in loose stools. What can I do?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A short course of anti-amoebic drugs will cure it

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. I appreciate your concerns.

You have not mentioned the duration and frequency of diarrhea; if associated with abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, acidity low grade fever; history of chronic anxiety/mental stress.

Nevertheless, from the brief information provided, the possibilities are :-

* Mucus-stained diarrhea of short duration is most likely be amoebic or giardia infection. In that event, a short course of anti-amoebic drugs, such as Metronidazole or Tinidazole will cure the diarrhea.

* Further, if you have been having frequent episodes of mucus-stained loose stools, associated with acidity(burning sensation in stomach, nausea or occasional vomiting, it can be due to H.pylori infection. A 10 days' course of anti-H.pylori course will relieve you of diarrhea.

* Lastly, in the presence of associated chronic anxiety/mental stress, Irritable bowels would be the obvious diagnosis.

You may consult your doctor, who will prescribe most effective drugs in appropriate doses.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have further clarification, I will be happy to reply.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal