Took mt pill tablet after intercourse. When will I get my next period?

Mar 2013
one day after the intercourse I have taken one mt pill tablet two days before from today.My query is when I will get bleeding?and is it ok to take mt pill after 40 hours
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for your health query.
MTP pill contains Mifepristone, which is ideally not recommended for emergency contraception in India.
However, studies quote that, if taken within 72 hours, it is upto 83 % effective, as emergency contraception, so you have taken it within 40 hours, which gives you that protection rate.
Ideally, emergency contraception should not be taken over the counter, but after consultation with your doctor, in order to ensure the best results, and minimal side effects.
ALso, after taking it for emergency contraception, bleeding is not always necessary within a few days.
However, Mifepristone does alter the pattern of the next menstrual pattern, and your next period date would be unreliable.
Bleeding/spotting can occur anytime within the coming two weeks.
The only way to ascertain success of the emergency contraception is to wait for your next proper menstrual period, and if you miss it, to take a pregnancy test at the earliest.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.