Took metformin. Started diarrhea, nausea, chills and body aches. Is this normal?

Mar 2016

hi I took my first dose of metformin today and i have had diarreah nausea chills and body aches is that normal for the first day
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Yes, gastrointestinal upset or discomfort is the most common manifestation following metformin usage. The listed side effects include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, increased flatulence, etc. In addition, the most serious side effect seen in some individual include lactic acidosis which is associated with impaired kidney function.

I hope you have started metformin under supervision. Please report back to your treating doctor to make the appropriate changes. In the interim drinking plenty of water with electrolytes like oral rehydrating salts powder can be helpful to an extent.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.