Took medicine for cold and cough. Getting hives all over body and stomach ache. Effective remedy?

ENT Specialist
Hello Doctor,
I am getting hives on whole body almost everyday. Every alternate days these become worst. Is happening for last 3-4 months. I also obsevered that i get stomach pains when the hives are worse. I consulted General Physicians and also allergist. Still the condition is same.

One more thing, in last October i was having cough and cold which lasted for about 3 month despite continious medications. Lois of antibiotics were prescribed

Pls suggest
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 5 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears to be a some kind of allergic response. It may be because of the drug allergy or food allergy. I would suggest you to observe your exposure to allergen or food and notice if there is some pattern in allergic rash that you have and exposure to specific food or any other allergen at that time. The positive history of allergy to egg and chicken is also pointing toward this cause. If you find or suspect any food or any other allergen avoid exposure to it -- if your symptom improves it means this was the offender. It is difficult but it works. If this fails you can plan for a allergy test which will tell you the common allegens that should be avoided to avoid symptoms

The role of medication is to control the allergic response ( antiallergics like cetrizine or fexofenadine are helpful. In severe cases steroids are required) or to avoid appearance of allergic response / rash ( corticosteroid are helpful in such situation). The best strategy is to avoid exposure to allergen which will help in preventing allergic response.

I would suggest you to consult a allergy specialist or immunologist for a complete work up and some tests to reach a clear diagnosis.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow-up: Took medicine for cold and cough. Getting hives all over body and stomach ache. Effective remedy? 14 minutes later
Dr. what about stomach pain, hows it related...
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 32 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up query

This may be a part of systemic allergic response but at they same time I would say that this may be because of this and may be because of other causes. Once you complete your evaluation with allergy specialist and he feels it is not a part of this allergic reponse you may need a gastomedicine consultation to look to look of the other causes

I hope this answers your concern
with regards
Ravinder Sharma