Ask a Urologist   »  

Took injection for gonorrhea. Started discharge from penis. What could be causing this?

Question
Hi i had ghonarea 3 weeks ago. the doctor in thailand gave me an injection and a 5 day course of cipro and doxy and after 2 days i was fine, but continued the course... now 3 weeks later i have discharge from my penis so i looked online and 2 days ago took 400mg of ofloxacin, but it hasnt seemed to do anything did i not take enough. im in hong kong now.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 27 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As drug resistance is common, you should get Culture & Sensitivity test of discharge, done at a pathological Laboratory.

It identify the causative organism and effective antibiotics.

You should consult a Skin & VD specialist with this report for prescription of drugs.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Took injection for gonorrhea. Started discharge from penis. What could be causing this? 6 minutes later
Ok I'm living in Hong kong and have no idea how to contact a pathological lab. My question was if 400mg of ofloxacin is enough or a usual dose is more?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 30 minutes later

Welcome again,

The usual dose of ofloxacine for uncomplicated gonorrhea is 400mg as single dose.

Because it is not responding to single dose, you can take 300mg twice daily for a week, after consulting a Skin & VD specialist.

With good wishes,