Took expired calpol 500 mg paracetamol. Any risk?

expired paracetemol calpol 500mg consumed, age 15 dage of expiry of medicine sept 2012. what is the remedy please
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Firstly I request you not to panic at this stage. Expiry date of the medicine is decided based on the date on which it looses its most of the efficacy to function as required. The paracetamol you consumed was expired and may not show the effect of reducing the fever or as a painkiller. Ideally, yes, the drugs should not be consumed after the expiry date. But if you have consumed the drug, still most probably it will not cause any problems to you. You need not panic as it is no poison.
Look for vomitings, nausea. If not, no need to worry! You cannot do much ones the drug has gone inside. And more so, you dont need to do anything for an expired paracetamol unless there is any physical signs of toxicity.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If you need any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.