Took contraceptive pills after sex. Waiting for periods. Chances of pregnancy?

hi doctor, i consulted few days back here jus to know whether i might be pregnant for which my question was answered to take emergency contraceptive pill on 16th of this month, as i had sex on 15th, 2nd of this month was my first day of menstrual period. But am still worried that i would be pregnant. is that possible? i do not want to get pregnant now. what can i do to ensure that am not pregnant. will the urine pregnancy test (strip) help in detecting it? I HAD TAKEN THE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVE PILL ON 16TH OF THIS MONTH

Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly wait until next period

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. As you have already taken emergency pills it’s unlikely you will be pregnant. Because emergency pills are highly effective, with failure rate of just 0.1% or even lesser than that.

As you had unprotected intercourse on 15th of September, what I suggest you is wait for your next period i.e. wait until October first week, then get a urine pregnancy test done. Because, Most of the urine pregnancy test strips available in the market give correct results only after a month of missing period.

If you take STRESS that itself can delay your period, so kindly do not take stress.

If you are too much worried, you can always get SERUM BETA HCG levels checked, which will confirm if you are pregnant or not, it is a blood test.

In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Took contraceptive pills after sex. Waiting for periods. Chances of pregnancy? 24 minutes later
Can serum hcg beta test, blood test be taken now?
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can do beta hcg now

Detailed Answer:

Yes you can get it done. But, I still advise you to wait for your next period. If you miss then only go ahead with investigations.

And regarding Beta HCG, level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.

If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Follow-up: Took contraceptive pills after sex. Waiting for periods. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
What if i become pregnant? If i let u know, can u suggest me abortion pills? Will that be effective?

am still awaiting reply for my question? pls let me know, can u suggest me abortion pills if i become pregnant? will that be effective?
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
MTP pills has to be takn under medical supervision

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons.
Coming back to your question, If you are pregnant it is very important to know the location of pregnancy before you take abortion pills, your OBGY specialist will examine you and if required you will be advised to do a scan also. This is mainly to rule out ECTOPIC PREGNANCY, because if you take this medication and unfortunately if it is an ectopic then your life will be in endanger due to severe intraperitoneal bleeding.

It is advisable to take MTP pills only under medical supervision.

Best is to visit a Gynecologist personally. Your doctor will examine you, take your history, & will give clear answer to your questions.

Wish you good health.