Took caffeine. Started getting muscular pain in chest. X-ray, ECG and EKG fine. How to get rid of this pain?

Hi! I get a muscular pain in my chest from caffeine intake of 300mg and it goes away with ibuprofen. Ive had chest x rays, ecg, and ekg done within last 4 months.. everything normal. What can I do tho to rid the pain besides laying off caffeine and ibuprofen? How long do I need to stay off caffeine if my pain level is about a 5? its just annoying to get this pain. Thanks for any help.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

The chest pain related to caffeine withdrawal usually subsides after around 4 weeks with a range of 2-6 weeks

Along with Ibuprofen you are taking, adding a low dose benzodiazepine can decrease pain perception

Plus adding some relaxation therapy and distraction technique might help

Hope this will help you to decrease your suffering

Wish you a good luck
Follow-up: Took caffeine. Started getting muscular pain in chest. X-ray, ECG and EKG fine. How to get rid of this pain? 15 hours later
Thank you! I will get the item you mentioned for pain perception. do you advise I completely stay away from all sources of caffeine for 6 weeks.. or even 8 weeks? why is it that I feel the pain after my workouts and not during? Theres certain positions I move my body in that I can feel it more like when I raise my left arm or use it for activity like getting a glass out of my cabinet. what does this mean? appreciate your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 3 hours later
Thank you for the appreciation

If you have consistent pain with raising left arm (that means every time you raise left arm and do some work, if there is pain in the shoulder), then it may be a better idea to do a x-ray left shoulder to rule out any possibility of frozen shoulder.

Otherwise, it would be a wise idea to be off caffeine for a longer period.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you a pain free life...