Took Puran for thyroid problem. Taking dessicated thyroid. Need help in assessing the thyroid test report

Question

I was since 4 years in Puran 75mcg/day and not feeling well, now am taking 60mg of dessicated thyroid since 4 months and feeling very well, now from TSH 6,207 in October 2011 I am in 01.2012 0,473 TSH Is it normal? Or if now What should I do?
Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Normal Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) range varies from lab to lab but the usual reference range is 0.5-4.5 microIU/ml. Values above than this reference range is seen in hypothyroidism and needs to be corrected with appropriate thyroid supplements.

You have been treated similarly and hence the decline in the TSH values.

You can continue same dose of dessicated thyroid for now. You need to repeat the test after 3 months then if your TSH is still less than 0.5 than you can reduce the dose of dessicated thyroid after discussing with your treating physician. This can be done either by taking the same dose 6 days a week or by reducing the total dose itself.

If TSH value is above 4.5 we increase the dose; if it’s below 0.5 it may require dose reduction.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns
If all your queries have been answered please close this discussion.