Too much calcium in blood. Fluctuation in hyperparathyroidism, kidney failure. High turnover osteoporosis shown in bone biopsy.

Endocrinologist
Question
I HAVE TOO MUCH CALCIUM IN MY BLOOD. CAN THIS CAUSE BONE PAIN? AND, I ALSO FLUCTUATE WITH
HYPERPARATHYROIDISM.
ALSO IS PROLIA THE BEST CURE FOR OSTEOPOROSIS, OR A PRATHYROIDECTOMY WHICH HAS BEEN SUGGESTED IN PAST. A BONE BIOPSY WAS DONE AND SHOWED HIGH TURNOVER OSTEOPOROSIS.
lastly, i have kidney failure. on dialysis for 7 years. have severe vascular issues.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 56 minutes later
Dear,

As is clear from your query you suffer from chronic renal failure and hypercalcemia. Hypercalcaemia in the presence of CRF may be because of tertiary hyperparathyroidism, or it may be primary hyperparathyroidism, which needs to be differentiated. For exact diagnosis, firstly you will need a sestamibi scan for parathyroid glands.

Then according to the diagnosis, you and your doctor can take a call whether you need parathyroidectomy or not. As far as bone pains are concerned, yes hypercalcemia, hyperparathyroidism and prolia (denosumab) as well can cause bone pain. For osteoporosis prolia is not the best but one of the best options. You have other drugs available as well for osteoporosis but first you must sort out the hypercalcemia issues.

Renal osteodystrophy is a one medical term to describe your condition probably.

Take care; hope I have answered your query!

Regards!